Into 5 minutes: Standards, Objectives, Agenda, Attendance, and Pledge of Allegiance
Standards: 11.4.6, 11.7.7, 11.7.8, 11.8.4, 11.8.5, 11.9.1, 11.9.2, 11.9.3, 11.9.4, 11.9.5, 11.9.6, 11.11.2, CST1, HREP.3, HI.2, HI.4
- Define the containment policy of the United States during the Cold War era.
- Discuss how the United States supported its allies during the Berlin Crisis.
- Describe how the Cold War guided policies in Asia.
- Analyze the events of the Korean War.
EQ: Did anyone win the Cold War?
- Describe President Eisenhower's plans to revamp the U.S. military.
- Explain Eisenhower's diplomatic strategy of brinkmanship.
- Evaluate the American efforts to continue containing Communist growth around the world.
- Analyze the tensions that remained between the Soviet Union and the United States.
Warm Up 10 minutes: Prepare for quiz
Quiz 30 minutes: Students take quiz
Enrichment 15 minutes: 12.4 Nevada Test Site
- Please Respond to writing Prompt
Lecture 20 minutes: 12.4 Two Nations Living on the Edge
Primary Source Analysis 25 minutes:
- Eisenhower on the Military and Industrial Complex.
- Bob Dylan Master's of War
- Bob Dylan Master's of War Lyrics
- Listen to Eisenhower's Speech and Bob Dylan's Song.
- What is the message of the speech and the song in your opinion?
- How are they both similar and different?
- When were each given?
- What are your feelings on this topic?
Activity 20 minutes: Enrichment 12.4 Plans for a Fallout Shelter
- Please create a plan for a fallout shelter.
Closing 5 minutes: Review Objectives